The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is a scholarship programme that runs every year. It is organised by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) to prepare students for jobs in science research. In addition, on May 22, 2022, IISc will host the KVPY Aptitude Test. Students taking the exam should familiarise themselves with the KVPY entrance exam format and syllabus. The exam pattern will assist them to understand the subjects, marking method, question types, and exam duration.
The paper pattern for the KVPY Aptitude Test is prescribed by IISc. Students can check the KVPY paper pattern on the official website, kvpy.iisc.ac.in, before taking the test. They can also use this link to look up the exam schedule. This article contains the KVPY 2022 exam pattern for each topic. So, scroll down to see the paper pattern and improve your exam preparation.
The exam will be conducted online, and candidates can choose between English and Hindi as their language medium. There will be 100 objective-type questions on the KVPY Exam 2022. Applicants will have three hours to complete questions in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics. Read the article to learn more about the exam pattern and to plan your KVPY exam preparation techniques accordingly.
KVPY Exam Overview
|Exam Name||Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)|
|Organising Body||Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore|
|Number of Sections||Four|
|Maximum Marks||SA – 100 Marks
SB/SX – 160 Marks
|Time Duration||Three Hours|
KVPY Exam Pattern 2022
The KVPY programme has three different streams, and the examination format for each of those streams is different from the others. The specifics of each are provided in this section.
KVPY SA Stream Exam Pattern 2022
The examination is broken up into two halves, each covering one of four different topics. The candidates are required to consult the table that may be seen below for further information.
|Subjects||Part – I||Part – II||Max. Marks|
- Examination for the SA stream during the morning shift begins at 9:30 AM and continues until 12:30 PM.
- Eighty questions are included in the overall count for the SA stream.
Part I: 60 Questions
Part II: 20 Questions
- It is required that each and every question be answered.
- KVPY Marking Scheme: In the first section of the exam, every correct answer will be worth 1 point, and you will lose 0.25 points for every incorrect answer. In Part II of Stream SA, the candidates will receive two marks for every response that is correct, and they will lose half a mark for every answer that is incorrect.
- The KVPY South African stream has a total of 100 possible marks.
- The time allotted for the exam is three hours.
KVPY SX/SB Stream Exam Pattern 2022
The KVPY SB/SX stream has a total of 160 points available for candidates to earn, and the mark breakdown can be found down below.
|Subjects||Part – I||Part – II||Max. Marks|
- Part I comprises of 80 questions and Part II carries 40 questions. Only 80 out of the total 100 questions must be answered by the students.
- The marking scheme for the KVPY is as follows: in Part I of the SB/SX Stream, you will receive one mark for every accurate response, and you will lose 0.25 marks for every erroneous response. In Part II of Stream SB/SX, two marks will be awarded for each correct response, and half a mark will be withdrawn for each incorrect answer.
- The distribution of KVPY marks requires that students attempt any three portions from Part 1 (20 times three = 60 marks), as well as any two sections from Part 2 (20 times two = 40 marks).
- There are a total of 160 points on the test.
- The KVPY examination for the SB/SX streams will take a total of three hours to complete.
- The SX/SB Stream exam begins at 2:00 PM and goes all the way through 5:00 PM.
KVPY Paper Pattern 2022
The following is a list of the most important aspects of the KVPY Paper Pattern:
- Questions Type: The test will only have multiple-choice questions (also known as MCQs), and no other types of questions will be allowed. It is needed to make an attempt at each and every question in the SA stream. For stream SB/SX, you can try any three segments from Part I and any two sections from Part II.
- Date and Time of Exams: The KVPY examinations are planned to be carried out on the 22nd of May, 2022. The time schedule for the SA stream exam is from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. and the hours for the SB/SX stream exam are from 2 to 5 in the afternoon.
- Medium: Both English and Hindi will be available as options for reading the question paper for the KVPY Aptitude examination.
- Total Marks: There are a total of 100 marks spread throughout all of the question papers for the SA, SB, and SX streams of the exam. One point is provided for correctly answering each question in Part I, with a loss of 0.25 points for each erroneous response. In contrast, each question in Part II is worth 2 marks, and you will lose 0.5 of those marks if you respond incorrectly to any of the questions.
- Sections of the KVPY Examination: The KVPY examination paper is broken up into two sections, Part 1 and Part 2. Each of Pieces I and II is comprised of four individual parts. These components are relevant to all three different streams. The test consists of multiple parts, each of which is devoted to a different subject area: physics, chemistry, mathematics, and biology.
- Total Number of Questions: There are a total of 60 questions in Part I of stream SA, with 15 questions pertaining to each segment. This stream is designated as S.A. The second section of the test consists of a total of twenty questions, with five questions devoted to each of the four categories. The first part of the SB/SX stream exam has a total of 80 questions, with 20 questions coming from each component. On the other side, there are forty questions in Part II, with ten questions coming from each department.
- Exam Duration: The KVPY Aptitude Test has a total time allotment of three hours for its completion (for all three streams).
KVPY Selection Procedure
In the past, in order for students to be eligible for the fellowship, they were required to complete the following two levels of the test.
1. Aptitude Test
2. Personal Interview
The aptitude test will count for a weighting of seventy-five percent of the total score, and the performance in the interview will account for the remaining twenty-five percent. In this section, we will discuss the Aptitude Test as well as the Interview in further depth:
- Self-Evaluation Form You will be expected to submit a self-evaluation form that explains why you should be awarded the KVPY scholarship.
- Carry Your KVPY Admit Card With You: Along with your completed application form, you will need to bring your KVPY admit card.
- You are need to bring a copy of the completed online KVPY Registration form in order to participate in the programme. You can access the application form on the official website and download it by logging in with your ID and password.
- The KVPY Aptitude Test The KVPY Aptitude Test is comprised of two parts, Part 1 and Part 2, with each of those portions consisting of four separate sections. Candidates will be required to take any three of the Part 1 portions and any other of the Part 2 sections. In order for students to succeed in the KVPY selection process, they must first finish their topics of strength.
- Original Mark Sheets Applicants are required to produce all original paperwork that correspond to their class 10 and 12 grades. Original mark sheets are also part of this requirement. In addition to that, you need to carry a xerox copy of the necessary documentation with you. All of these documents must be presented in order to be verified.
- The KVPY Interview Process is designed to examine your scientific knowledge in order to determine whether or not you are qualified for a scholarship offered by the KVPY. After going through an interview process, candidates who are able to carry out research are ultimately selected for the last round of the KVPY selection method. The final merit list for the KVPY will be prepared using the results of the aptitude test in addition to the information obtained during the interview process.
- A Certified Caste and Medical Certificate is Required: In addition, you are required to bring a caste and medical certificate that has been certified. During the interview process for the KVPY programme, you are required to bring along a current medical certificate that is recognised by the Indian government.
Candidates are required to get a Study Certificate Form from the Principal or Head of the Institution in which they are currently enrolled in order to proceed with the application process. Last but not least, the candidate has been given a form of endorsement from a Teacher which declares that they meet all of the requirements to take part in the KVPY Interview Process.
KVPY Exam Syllabus 2022
The subjects that make up PCMB will be included in the KVPY 2022 syllabus. The subjects that will be covered in each segment are listed here.
KVPY SA Syllabus
The following is a list of the subject areas from which questions will be drawn for the KVPY SA examination.
|Biology||Cell: Structure and Function, Human Physiology, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Heredity and Evolution, Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Reproduction, Life Processes, Our environment,|
|Mathematics||Polynomials, Trigonometric Functions, Quadratic Equations, Geometry, Real Number, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics and Probability, Introduction to Trigonometry, Probability, Coordinate Geometry, Surface Areas & Volumes, Statistics,|
|Chemistry||Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Chemical Reactions, Periodic Classification of Elements, Thermodynamics, Environmental Chemistry, Metals and Non-Metals, Acids, Bases and Salts, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, States of Matter, Gases, and Liquids, Carbon Compounds,|
|Physics||Electromagnetic Induction, Kinematics, Refraction, Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Current, Physical World and Measurement, Electrostatics, Reflection of Light, Sources of Energy, Work, Energy and Power, Laws of Motion, Magnetic Effects of Current, Gravitation, Thermodynamics, Current Electricity|
KVPY SB Syllabus
Despite the fact that the SB and SX streams both use the same format for their examinations, the content of their respective curriculum is distinct. The KVPY SB stream’s course outline is shown in the following table.
|Human Physiology, Cell: Structure and Function, Reproduction, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plant, Diversity of Living Organisms, Biology and Human Welfare, Biotechnology, Genetics, Genetics and Evolution, Our Environment, Plant Physiology, Ecology and Environment, Life Processes,|
|Statistics, Relations and Functions, Vectors and 3-D Geometry, Surface Areas & Volumes, Evaluation of Integrals, Quadratic Equations, Calculus, Polynomials, Statistics and Probability, Real Number, Vector Algebra, Geometry, Analytical Geometry in Two Dimensions, Introduction to Trigonometry, Trigonometric Functions, Probability, Mathematical Reasoning, Coordinate Geometry, Linear Programming|
|Thermodynamics, Structure & Bonding, Periodic Classification of Elements, Chemical Reactions, Chemical Kinetics, Metals and Non-Metals, Solid State, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Cycloalkenes, Dienes and Alkynes, Environmental Chemistry, Carbon compounds, Chemical Bonding, Gases and Liquids, Acids, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Bases and Salts, States of Matter, Isolation of Elements, Chemistry of Noble Gases, Surface Chemistry, Alkenes, Electrochemistry,|
|Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Current, Electromagnetic Induction, Thermal Physics, Sources of Energy, Kinematics, Work, Energy and Power, Physical World and Measurement, Current Electricity, Applications in Daily Life, Electricity & Magnetism, Electrostatics, Gravitation, Thermodynamics, Reflection, Magnetic Effects of Current, Refraction, Laws of Motion, Electrostatics, Waves & Optics,|
KVPY SX Syllabus
|Biology||Genetics and Evolution, Life Processes, Ecology and environment, Cell: Structure and Function, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Plant Physiology, Reproduction, Human Physiology, Biology and Human Welfare, Diversity of Living Organisms,|
|Mathematics||Coordinate Geometry, Quadratic Equations, Surface Areas & Volumes, Introduction to Trigonometry, Polynomials, Mathematical Reasoning, Vectors and 3-D Geometry, Real Number, Calculus, Statistics, Trigonometric Functions, Probability, Geometry, Statistics and Probability, Relations and Functions, Linear Programming|
|Chemistry||States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Surface Chemistry, Periodic Classification of Elements, Carbon compounds, Metals and Non-Metals, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Thermodynamics, Chemical Reactions, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements,|
|Physics||Reflection of Light, Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Current, Kinematics, Sources of Energy, Electrostatics, Magnetic Effects of Current, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Current Electricity, Gravitation, Physical World and Measurement, Refraction,|
KVPY Preparation Tips
The syllabus and test pattern for the KVPY exam 2022 are now known. Let us now discuss the tactics that should be used to get the desired KVPY result. Not only does information provide us power in such difficult tests, but a planned approach to preparation can help any student achieve higher outcomes.
Clearing your concepts will assist you in solving difficult problems. As a result, a student should focus on each problem and design and stick to a schedule for each topic.
- Many questions from the Optics and Resistor Series are asked in this area of the KVPY Exam Pattern 2022.
- Even in SA, where KVPY is used for class 11, a few questions from the class 12 syllabus, such as Lens Maker’s Formula and Kirchhoff’s regulations, are asked.
- You will have an advantage over others if physics is your strong suit.
- Chemistry is easier than physics, though the difficulty varies from candidate to candidate. Revising ten of the most basic things would be really beneficial and useful.
- The majority of the questions will be reaction or property-based, with only a few number problems. Chemical bonding, organic, and physical chemistry must all be understood. In this scenario, NCERT is insufficient.
- Mathematics: Practice is essential in mathematics. Formulas should be at the top of your mind. Know every feasible shortcut. Learn important theorems and results.
- Mathematics demands more than just problem-solving ability. Graphs and curve sketching, for example. In KVPY Math, you’ll encounter a lot of IQ-based challenges.
- Biology is the most straightforward component of the KVPY exam pattern 2022. Biology from NCERT is sufficient. Keep the diagrams and their labels in mind. Practice Biology MCQs. For SA, you must know basic biology from grades 9 and 10. Furthermore, it is a high-scoring portion that pupils can easily pass. Make your own Biology notes, including flow charts and shortcuts to help you remember crucial concepts.
Take online practise tests
KVPY is divided into two stages: an online aptitude test and an interview. A computer-based assessment is an online aptitude test.
To succeed on this test, you should consider taking practise computer-based assessments. Computerized mock tests will assist you become more comfortable with the test’s format. Along with free or paid sample tests, there are study materials available that have shown to be quite useful and up-to-date.
Keep track of important formulas in a notebook
During the planning stage, take notes. While studying, keep a notebook with all of the relevant formulas, theorems, proofs, and equations. Every day, go through it again. This will be especially useful during the revision process. You’ll have all of the necessary materials on hand and won’t have to rummage through those 20 kg of books at the last minute.
Solve Previous Question Papers
It is usually beneficial to check over past year’s question papers and solve them on your own if you want to get a good understanding of the types of problems you may encounter in KVPY exams.
It will give you an idea of how difficult the exam may be for you and how much preparation you will need. Students should keep in mind and follow not only previous year question papers, but also the sample papers for KVPY 2022.It will show you a graph that shows which parts are more significant and which areas can earn you more points.
Before diving into any subject or area, the student must first gain self-awareness, i.e. the student should be aware of his or her own skills and flaws. Make a personal list and a table of the subjects and areas you are weak and strong in, and focus your efforts on the most critical issues.
Align your Preparations for KVPY with Other Exams
To begin, match your preparation to JEE/AIPMT. It’s fantastic news for anyone studying for JEE or AIPMT. These three exams have the same syllabus, and the KVPY 2022 test style and questions are JEE advanced level. If your goal is to pass JEE or AIPMT, this will help you prepare for the KVPY exam faster.
Time management is crucial in any student’s academic life, and when it comes to passing exams like the KVPY, an applicant should plan a balanced and realistic schedule. This has a significant impact on the outcome of any candidate.
To give yourself enough time to revise, try to finish your study within the scheduled days before the exam. You should experiment with your own approaches when reviewing on your own schedule. This can also draw your attention to the regions that have been overlooked. It is really beneficial to your academic success.
Maintain your Health
Nothing is going to be more crucial than your health. Only when you are healthy will you be able to focus on your studies. So eat healthy and nutritious foods. Don’t forget to eat breakfast and get at least 7-8 hours of sleep.
Recommended Books for KVPY 2022
Keep in mind when selecting KVPY 2022 reference books that they should cover the KVPY Syllabus and provide sufficient and authentic study material. Students can also rely on the following books, which are available in paper editions, in addition to the online study materials:
Elementary Biology – Volume 1
K.N Bhatia and M.P. Tyagi; Publisher: Trueman
Mathematics for class XI
RD Sharma; Publisher: Dhanpat
NCERT Organic and Physical Chemistry
Modern ABC of Chemistry for class XI
Concept of Physics
Fundamentals of Physics
David Halliday, Robert Resnick and Jearl Walker
KVPY Exam Pattern FAQs
On May 22, 2022, the KVPY exams for 2021-22 will be held.
There will be no interviews for the KVPY exam this year, and candidates will be chosen solely on the basis of their talents.
Yes, for each incorrect response, 0.25 points will be deducted in Part 1, and 0.50 marks will be deducted in Part 2.